Sunday, March 13, 2011

Furcations are just weird

OK, first understand that I'm not one of those people who daydreams about time off because:

1. I love what I do
2. I hate being disoriented when I return from being away
3. I don't have any money with which to travel to places I want to travel to

However, I admit that about once a year I do feel pretty stressed out and need some time off. That's when I usually take what amounts to a staycation, because even when I DO go somewhere, it's not terribly far (as far as the budget and common sense permits).

Now, this furcation deal, that's another animal. Sure, there's plenty to accomplish with the time off and I hope to, but right now I'm just trying to orient myself to the new schedule and planning for paying next month's bills with one less week's pay.

Not fun.

That said, it's really difficult to not check in with work by keeping an eye on the web site and looking at e-mail. The latter is forbidden under furlough rules, so I'll not be pushing that tempting red button.

What's worse though, is that with our web-based production system, I can log on and pretty much figure out what's going on, what we're working on, planning, etc. Tempting, but as much as that forbidden red button compels me, I can't push it without risking termination or at least another week off with no pay.

So, as of midnight tonight, I'm a civilian for a week. Can't even be a citizen journalist in my own town.

Bummer.

That said, if you have any news tips, please contact the Times (547-2353) or e-mail jbecknell@heraldonline.com

No comments:

Post a Comment