Friday, March 16, 2012

Knowing what you don't know (and doing someting about it)

Sometimes, being a journalist, specifically the editor of a community newspaper, means being your readers' ombudsman. Readers have the notion that their newspaper has a certain influence, that we can pick up the phone or shoot off an email and make things happen.

There's something to that.

Sometimes.

If you're around long enough and have the leverage of lots of readers, there is a measure of authority to call on now and then. Mostly though it works because you've cultivated important relationships and have demonstrated responsibility and discretion.

Then there are the times you want to make something happen with no prompting and have no idea where to turn. And this is what led me to discuss this: Yesterday I noticed a dead dear in the middle of a main road - Hwy. 160 West. This morning, on my way to the office, it was still there.

I live in one of the fast-growing areas of the southeast, minutes from Charlotte and in a part of town that has a medium income that's likely higher than the rest of the town (no thanks to me; I'm sure my salary brings the average down). Not that a a large, decaying dead animal should be left on a road anywhere, but it surprised me this one was (is) still there.

The reason I'd like to see it removed is...just because it's sad and it seems this poor creature, driving to road sue the quickly shrinking size of its habitat, deserves better to rot in the sun. As a citizen, I wanted to call someone and find out why it hasn't been removed from this Major public road.

Then I realized I have no freakin' idea who's in charge of this. Maybe no one.

Next mission: finding out.

No comments:

Post a Comment