Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Time to accessorize?

Now that I have to do some reporting regularly (as opposed to editing, which isn't exactly less difficult than reporting but definitely requires less heavy lifting) I realize how much I dislike note taking. Not the gathering of information, but the literal putting pen to paper out in the field.

Now, at my desk on the phone is a different story. for one thing, I typically key in my notes when working a story by phone. Love it. Born to do it. maybe it's because I'm not worried about making eye contact and reading body language.

I even don't mind doing some note taking by hand, the old fashioned way, when I'm at my desk. Maybe it's a comfort level thing.

Out in the field, with a notebook. hate it. Maybe it's my terrible handwriting becomes worse when I'm not leaning over, right elbow propped while holding the phone. Whatever it is (and keep in my mind when I was a young reporter I loved heading out with my notepad. It was sort of romantic like the scenes of reporters at work I saw in the movies growing up) I'd rather work without a pad and pen.

Absent the unlikely event I develop a Rainman-like instant recall, it's time to start exploring electronic alternatives. Keyboarding with laptop or phone seems viable, but rude.

I think it's time to invest in a digital recorder and that software that converts voice recordings to text. Yep, I think I'll be going high-tech.

No comments:

Post a Comment